|Bentley Old Vicarage|
|Bentley Old Vicarage Nature Reserve is a small site lying north of All Saints' Church on the Uxbridge Road in Harrow Weald. Together with the churchyard of All Saints’ Church to its immediate south it forms a quiet oasis off this busy road. The post code is HA3 6DH.|
Where the reserve is now was the vicarage of All Saints’ Church, built along with the church itself in 1848. The vicarage fell out of use in 1924 and was finally demolished in 1955. A few of the trees on the site now are relicts of the vicarage garden while most have grown up since that time. In 1987 a group of volunteers took over the site and were soon sponsored by the Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust. The site is now managed by volunteers from the Harrow Nature Conservation Forum.
Map above reproduced by permission of Geographers' A-Z Map Co. Ltd. (c)Crown Copyright 2009. All rights reserved. Licence number 100017302.
of note in the area
Old Inn The frontage of this fine Grade 2 listed house can be seen well from the Uxbridge Road. Built to serve traffic on both the Pinner-Uxbridge and Harrow-Bushey roads, this was built in the early 18th century and had the traditional if prosaic name of the Nag's Head. In the early 19th century it was converted to a private house, called Harrow Weald Lodge, and later to offices.
Grave of William Leefe Robinson At the southern tip of the churchyard extension is the grave of William Leefe Robinson, awarded the Victoria Cross for his bravery in shooting down a Zeppelin over Enfield during the first world war. He died in the great influenza epidemic of 1918.
How to find the reserve
The reserve is at the back of the Bentley Day Centre in Uxbridge Road, Harrow Weald and is reached through the churchyard of All Saints’ Church - see the access route on the map at the top of the page. The 340 and H12 busses run along the Uxbridge Road, while the 258 and 182 pass very close. There is no dedicated car park but parking is possible on local streets. There's no specific meeting point; the site is so small that you will be able to find the team by wandering in.
|Warden: James Mercer
Phone: 020 8954 0247
|Assistant Warden: Jane Skelly
Phone: 020 8863 9714